I attended high school in Hawaii and was a dual pre-med Chemistry and Art major at Duke University. After an early turn to a technology career – and a couple of other advanced degrees – I’ve been blessed to be in a career I love.
I have worn many hats as an award-winning employee at numerous large companies, a top-rated instructor at two universities, a formal mentor, a technical program manager, a web technology specialist, a published author, a business owner and board member for multiple non-profits and associations. I’m comfortable with this go anywhere approach. As the son of an enlisted Marine and first of my family to go to college – the mission has always mattered.
Today I leverage my company – Brightmill – to improve websites and help companies get more out of their digital portfolio.
In my spare time I have enjoyed diverse pursuits including martial arts, chess, watercolor painting, food+travel, singing and telling jokes that make my engineer wife and teenage daughter roll their eyes. Other topics of interest outside the workplace include college basketball, military aircraft, cars, new nuclear power technologies, and artificial intelligence.
Let me know how I can help you next.
Whether you call it SEO, website improvement, UX, CX, web operations, modernization, web analysis or solution engineering – I can help you get more out of your website investment through optimization of web technology.
Digital Program and Portfolio Management
Managing a digital and web technology portfolio in today’s world involves substantial complexity. My interests in this area include helping manage “special projects” that are large, complex, risk-heavy programs unique to the organization – particularly when oriented toward web, marketing technology and emerging digital technologies.
Innovation Funnel Management
I have a particular interest in innovation in the enterprise, integrating innovations into corporate road maps, as well as managing early stage product investment funnels as they relate to software enabled technologies.
M&A Technology Success Team
Whether you are buying a company or selling one, you need a trusted technology adviser on your success team to provide guidance and support during the process.
Demand Generation for SMB
I enjoy helping small and medium business with cost effective solutions and providers to generate more conversations and business.
Web Security and Compliance
I have a particular interest in web security and compliance initiatives. I’ve done this for numerous companies from small to large.
The Myth of Easy
Misjudging Complexity in Work and Life
Over the last couple of decades, complexity across work, life and technology has increased. While the emergence of new technologies has simplified life in many ways, it has brought work and life closer together as never before. This leads to surprising outcomes in the way we perceive complex scenarios which impacts our judgments and risk-taking.
Worked with ARRIS on digital marketing and technology solutions to better leverage the NASCAR sponsorship with Joe Gibbs Racing.
System engineering and support for multiple technology systems related to diverse needs from document and records management to network analysis.
Managed multiple programs for internal customers in technology, legal, operations, and finance related to back end systems, compliance, project management processes and innovation.
Web Analysis Overview
Seven Forces at Genuine Parts HQ
- May 9, 2018 – Voyage Atlanta: Meet Taz Lake of Brightmill
- Mar 15, 2018 – LinkedIn: Marketing and Artificial Intelligence in 2018
- Feb 21, 2018 – LinkedIn: Artificial Intelligence (AI) Chatbots
- Jan 19, 2018 – Brightmill: US Government Web Security by the Numbers
- Dec 14, 2017 – Brightmill: eCommerce Websites are HAR
- Nov 27, 2017 – Brightmill: Five Things to Tell Your n00b Web Designer
- Nov 20, 2017 – Brightmill: Executive Summary: Five Myths of Web Security and SSL
- Oct 12, 2017 – LinkedIn: Leave the Discounts, Take my Money
- Sep 22, 2017 – LinkedIn: Artificial Intelligence Content Writing
- Sep 7, 2017 – Brightmill: Your New Website is Terrible
- Aug 3, 2017 – Brightmill: Web Accessibility, Compliance and Risk in 2017
- Jul 18, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying the 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 7 – Web Technology Management, Table Stakes for Customer Experience
- Jul 17, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying The 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 6 – Usability, Devices and Customer Satisfaction
- Jul 7, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying The 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 5 – Web Accessibility, Compliance and Risk
- Jul 6, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying The 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 4 – Web Quality and Customer Experience
- Jul 5, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying The 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 3 – Web Content and Social Integration for Marketing Effectiveness
- Jun 30, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying The 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 2 – Speed, Performance and Conversion Potential
- Jun 28, 2017 – LinkedIn: Applying The 7 Forces of Web Analysis: Part 1 – Web Security and Brand Trust
- Mar 7, 2017 – LinkedIn: What Will Drive 3D Printing Investment?
- Dec 21, 2016 – Internet Retailer / Digital Commerce 360: Preparing your Retail Website for 2017
- Nov 21, 2016 – Multichannel Merchant : 3 Tips for Increasing Mobile Commerce Sales
- Nov 18, 2016 – CMSWire: 3 Lessons From 5 Top Retail Websites
- Oct 14, 2016 – The Huffington Post: What Businesses Can Learn from the Presidential Candidates’ Websites
- Oct 14, 2016 – Advertising Week: What Marketers Can Learn from the Presidential Candidates’ Websites
- Aug 29, 2016 – LinkedIn: Driverless Cars and Brake Lights
- May 25, 2016 – Brightmill: Thinking About Web Application Security
- Jul 13, 2015 – Brightmill: Web Vulnerabilities Still Prevalent
- Mar 8, 2015 – Brightmill: Yes Your Website is Under Attack
- Feb 14, 2015 – Brightmill: The Risks of Personalization in Content Management Systems
- Sep 17, 2013 – Brightmill: Mind the Gap: Mobile Devices and the Web
- TOGAF 9 Certified (CID# 95496), The Open Group, April 2015
- Certified ScrumMaster (CID# 164082), Scrum Alliance, 2011
- ITILv3 Foundation Certification (CID# 100249540), APM Group, 2011
- Project Management Professional (PMP# 486270), Project Management Institute, 2007
- MCTS: Windows Server® 2003 Hosting, Configuration and Management (CID# 5544117), Charter Member, 2007
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, Georgia State University, 2006
- ANA Marketing Atlanta – AI and B2B Marketing – March 2018
- CX Talks – Web Experience, Commerce and ROI, October 2017
- Atlanta Electronic Commerce Forum – The 7 Forces of Web Analysis – eCommerce Edition, May 2017
- Atlanta Electronic Commerce Forum – The Rise of Personalization: The ABCs of EUE, 2015
- Selectica Customer Panel – Selectica in the Enterprise, 2011
- Software Project Estimation (Series) – Business Analyst Resource Group at McKesson, 2009
- 2018 – Website Quality Management – Getting Buy-in For Improvements
- 2016 – Seven Forces in Web Site Analysis: Utilizing Web Site Analysis to Drive Digital Roadmap Success
- 2016 – Integrating WordPress into the Enterprise: Considerations and Concerns when Selecting WordPress for use in the Enterprise Application Portfolio
The story of Taz Lake’s 20+ year technology career is shown through the words of many professionals including peers, hiring managers, and his former college students. Mr. Lake’s formidable recommendations are testimony to the contributions he has made in technology related to technology leadership and consulting, program management, system implementation, architecture, and interface design and integration. He has served in various technical and leadership roles in Fortune 500 companies, digital agencies and consultancies. He is a past Adjunct Professor at Georgia State University and The Art Institute of Atlanta and has also been published in Huffington Post, Advertising Week, CMS Wire, Multichannel Merchant and Internet Retailer.
His project success portfolio includes multivendor transformational initiatives, modernization initiatives, content management systems, enterprise web sites and intranets, search engines, document management systems, contract management systems, web analytics modeling, information re-architecture and design, business process re-engineering, compliance initiatives, system integration, web vulnerability programs and custom application development.
During his career in digital and enterprise technology leadership, he has developed specialty knowledge in web technologies, portfolio management, system selection and implementation, vendor selection, information architecture, enterprise architecture and risk, qualitative research and requirements elicitation.
Taz has proven himself to be a skilled leader and fixer who models the way for others, as well as a highly competent and creative technical analyst. He brings a breadth of knowledge, deep insight and experience across multiple information technology functional verticals. As a synthesizer of complex information, he serves as the voice of the project to guide his clients through the intricacies of technology heavy programs. Adapting readily across multiple project and company types, he is outcome focused, candid in his communications, and works to root out risk throughout the project lifecycle. He endeavors to make those around him better by sharing academic and industry information, most often by reconciling theory with the realities of the situation on the ground. He has been a formal mentor both in the university and corporate setting. His professional repertoire derives from advanced education, consulting, university teaching, as well as numerous industry roles including but not limited to:
- Founder and CEO of Brightmill where he managed a team of five full-time and three part-time consultants, as well as numerous vendor and project specific resources servicing the largest customer, a $5B/year publicly traded telecommunications company.
- Director of Service Delivery and Support at Colibrium where he managed a team of six FTEs (Project Managers, BA, Developer) servicing customers such as Cigna and Priority Health.
- Program Manager and BA at McKesson where he led numerous projects including large contract management system deployments, mobility task force initiatives and specific compliance initiatives to align with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Technical Project Management at Definition 6 where he led a modernization initiative for Softmart, a large IT solution reseller.
- Managing Consultant at Neuthink, where he orchestrated operations to effect delivery of exceptional experiences for various SMB customers and their largest client Motorola.
- Served as adjunct professor in Computer Information Systems at Georgia State University and in multi-media department of The Art Institute of Atlanta.
- Sr. Web Developer at ARRIS where he led all intranet projects and support activities over five years, as well as implementation of intranet search and document management systems for Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
Based out of the Atlanta area since 1997, Taz is the Director of Technology for the Atlanta Technology Professionals and Board Member At-Large at the ANA Marketing Atlanta Chapter. He holds an MBA with a Computer Information Systems emphasis from the Robinson College of Business at Georgia State University, an Interdisciplinary Master of Arts from Wheaton College Graduate School (IL), and a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from Duke University. He is a certified PMP and CSM who also holds TOGAF 9, ITILv3 Foundation, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, MCTS, and CIW certifications.
Digital Technology ~ Web Analysis ~ Full Lifecycle Technology Project and Program Management ~ Corporate Systems ~ Vendor Selection / Management ~ Enterprise Architecture ~ Qualitative Research ~ Requirements ~ Web Technology